It’s finally October and as the temperature continues to drop, my cravings for hearty and delicious homecooked meals continues to grow. So, I decided it was time to recreate the Vegan Shepherd’s Pie recipe I posted last year.
One of my favourite meal is traditional shepherd’s pie. When I first started this blog, I created a Vegan Shepherds pie following Jamie Oliver‘s delicious recipe. I figured it was time to give this dish a fresh new look and taste for 2017. I promise you, this version is flavourful, easy to make, and delicious to eat!
VEGAN SHEPHERD’S PIE
- 4-6 boiling potatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 onion
- 2 carrots
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 sticks of celery
- olive oil
- 1/2 a bunch of fresh thyme
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 can of lentils
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Step 1 Begin by preheating the oven to 400F
- Step 2 Peel and chop all the potatoes into 1inch chunks. Then boil the chopped potatoes for about 10 to 15 minutes, until soft.
- Step 3 Drain and mash until smooth adding vegan butter, as well as salt and pepper for taste. Then set aside.
- Step 4 Peel and finely slice the onion, carrots, garlic cloves, and celery.
- Step 5 Add the chopped veggies and oil to a large pan over medium heat. Add thyme leaves, then cook until softened.
- Step 6 While the veggies are cooking, chop and add the mushrooms and diced tomatoes to the pan.
- Step 7 Continue cooking the mixture for 10 minutes, and then add the vegetable broth and turn up the heat.
- Step 8 Add the lentils and chickpeas allowing it to cook for another ten minutes.
- Step 9 Season to taste (I used Italian seasoning), then transfer to a baking dish.
- Step 10 Spread the mashed potatoes over the top, creating a decent layer of mash.
- Step 11 Top with breadcrumbs and chives. Place the dish in the hot oven for 15 minutes.
- Step 12 Turn oven on boil and cook for another 5 minutes until the top turns crispy and golden brown.
- Step 13 Remove from oven. Let cool.
- Step 14 Serve and Enjoy!
Making simple changes to a recipe can totally revamp a dish and completely change the taste! Sometimes it’s nice to change a recipe to keep your favourite meals interesting.
Visit Jaime Oliver’s website for the original recipe.
If you enjoyed this recipe, then I think you will love our Quinoa Lentil Mushroom Meatballs! Check it out.